Frequently asked questions about Lessonbox.
Data Protection (DP) issues
Is it legal to film children?
Do I need parental permission?
What happens if someone objects?
- Using Lessonbox for the purposes of teacher training and development is fully approved by the Information Commissioners Office (ICO – the body responsible for data protection).
- It is legal for schools to film children and to make lesson recordings in the classroom for the purposes of training and development as long as they follow the ICO guidelines. Notice signs must be posted (supplied by Lessonbox).
- Parental permission is required if the video is to be used outside the school boundaries. However it is good practice for schools to inform parents as part of the induction process.
- Parents have the right to ask to see the video footage of their children and can refuse permission if the video is to be used outside the school boundaries. However if the School is following the DP guidelines then they have the right to use the Lessonbox systems for lesson recording for the purposes of training and development.
- More information can be found at the Lessonbox and the ICO web site.
Can the Lessonbox video recording system be used for multiple purposes? eg. for security and teacher training?
Yes, as long as each purpose is separately justified and is “reasonable and proportionate”. See the ICO guidelines on the Lessonbox website.
Price. Can’t afford it. Haven’t got the Budget.
- Not all rooms need to be installed with a lesson recording system. Installations into each type of classroom or key subject areas or one per department/faculty are often employed.
- You could employ a mix of Bespoke and Mobile video recording systems to obtain excellent results.
- Leasing can help with financial constraints. We can also be creative with leasing – for example if the school budget does not allow the lesson recording equipment to be installed until the new Budget year – we can tailor the lease to reflect this. Different lease terms can be made available to fit the school requirements.
Teachers and Unions are generally concerned that the school will use the footage for performance management.
- Our “Cameras in Classrooms” policy document clearly lays out the acceptable use and purpose of the cameras, including a clause that states Classwatch will not be used for disciplinary purposes unless it is with the consent of the teacher. Classwatch can provide examples of this policy document.
- In most cases the system user will manage and control the system and decide what and when to film (this is also an ICO guideline).
- Classwatch can provide many reference sites that have gone through the same issues, and have found that teachers, pupils and parents support the Classwatch lesson recording system.
How long does it take to install?
- Bespoke – About one day per classroom. We can fit around the timetable. 5 classrooms can be done in 4 days. Classwatch will do a site survey before installation.
- Mobile – no installation time at all.
- Key Area – often requires a survey but generally the same timescales as Bespoke.
Networking questions for Bespoke system
- Lessonbox engineers cable the cameras and audio for each classroom back to the local Lessonbox (digital video recorder), which is placed in the classroom (or nearby). The Lessonbox is plugged into a network point – for which we need an IP address from IT.
- Audio and Video is then available in real time, or as a recording, to all users within the school network that have the appropriate level of password.
- This architecture provides a very responsive system and reduces the strain on the school network – high definition cameras have heavy data and bandwidth requirements.
- Video is stored on the DVR until it is overwritten – depending on usage and storage settings this can be managed from 1 day to 2 weeks.
- If more technical information is required, please contact Lessonbox on 0845 519 3660 or contact us.
Video is a powerful tool to enhance teaching and learning. Staff, students, leaders and parents can now engage with video in ways that were unattainable several years ago.
© 2018 Lessonbox Ltd.
FIND OUT MORE
We'd love to talk to you about your requirements, call us on 0845 519 3660 for a chat or to arrange a demonstration.